A sick and twisted game.

I’m worried for my baby girl.

The growth on the roof of her mouth is definitely getting bigger. It’s growing downwards and is almost as low as her back top teeth. I fear that soon it will affect her ability to eat, or even to close her mouth.

Her appetite has been a challenge ever since her last chemo … it’s hard to say whether it’s because of the chemo, or the thing in her mouth.

The chemo doesn’t seem to be doing her any good, at least, not for her mouth cancer. I am thinking at this point we might switch to metronomics. We don’t have a lot of options left. Surgery doesn’t seem to be an option; They can’t exactly remove the roof of her mouth, and if they remove the surface growths, they will just come back again. Since we don’t know how much time she has left, I don’t want the rest of her life to be spent recovering from surgeries. The closest radiation facility is two hours away, and I’m not sure that would do it any good either.

I really, really hate this sick and twisted game that cancer is playing with us. The “which one will get her first?” game. It breaks my heart that it will likely be one of those before her spirit.

We still managed to celebrate her 4 month ampuversary on the weekend. She had some of her human and doggie friends over and I baked a doggie meatloaf, which all the puppies enjoyed.

Roxy supervising her ampuversary party preparations

Hanging out with her human friends

Roxy has a lot of pug friends. Here are two of Roxy’s new senior pug pals, Ziggy and Sophia.

All partied out.

It’s getting harder to stay positive… but all I can do is try to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as possible. My poor Roxy.

August 7, 2013@ 1:18 pm      Reply

Oh yeah, got me some Roxy photos making me all smiles over here!

The partied out one takes the cake……..if that isn’t the epitome of peace and contentment, I don’t know what is!

Isn’t one of her pug friends a tripawd adoptee inspired by Roxy? Couldn’t remember! They sure are cute though.

You are very tuned into your Roxy and her desire to just absorb any and all of the quality time aavailable! And she seems to be mastering that just fine!

I think looking into metronomics is certainly a good option and, for the most part, is fairly side effect free. At least no surgeries are involved. You are doing everything possible for Roxy and she KNOWS that!

She is most certainly still enjoying her life And not letting any of this crap get in her way!

Just one quick aside on the thing in her mouth….I don’t think it would interfere with her eating regardless. A lot of dogs, a LOT of dogs, especially seniors, do very well on “blender” food that’s soft and mushy, so tht’s always a solution, Even steaks blend up nicely!

Have any of the vets suggested Prednisone steriod? It’s anti-inflammatory among other things, but it’s almost fool proof when it comes to stimulating the appetite! If your vet agrees, I’d check into getting her on that for short terms and see if that helps. Bet it would.

Roxy, you’re still looking mighty fine you sweet, precious girl!! Anyday with a hoti of Roxy around here is a good day:-) 🙂

Let us know how your steak and ice cream smoothie tasted!

Lots od love!

2. Karma Said,

August 7, 2013@ 1:27 pm      Reply

Oh Roxy and Mica, I hate to hear that that darn tumor in her mouth is not cooperating. It looks like you guys had a great ampuversary party though. Sending lots of love your way.

August 7, 2013@ 1:59 pm      Reply

Roxy & Mica, I am so sorry about this stinking hateful cancer. I was hoping that the chemo would help with your tumors. You had one big party that is super. Looks like everyone had fun and you wore yourself out Roxy.

Thank you for sharing the beautiful day with us.

Michelle & Sassy

4. maximutt Said,

August 7, 2013@ 2:05 pm      Reply

I’m sorry to hear the stupid thing in Roxy’s mouth may be giving her problems. She looks like she had a great time at her party. I remember stressing about Max almost daily when I knew we were coming to the end of his journey. What I tried to do was literally take things one day at a time. I know it’s hard to do, but try not to let your worry take any of your time away from your girl. You will have time for sadness some day, but don’t make it today. It sounds like you have a plan of action with possibly switching to metronomics. You are the advocate for your girl, and you know what’s best for her. I’m a firm believer in making your doctors work for you, so give them a call and start asking questions. In the meantime, just take it one day at a time, spend time with your girl, and love on her. We’ll be thinking of Roxy and you.

August 7, 2013@ 10:12 pm      Reply

Mica, I can’t imagine how hard this must be, I know it’s just gotta be upsetting and difficult to cope with. If I could reach out here and give you a gigantic hug I would. I’m so sorry. Cancer just SUCKS, especially when it gets to the point that the treatment is worse than the disease.

All any of us can do is treasure every good moment, like that fantastic pawty of yours. Day by day is how we beat this thing, enjoying whatever time we have left. Do that and it cannot win.

Hoppy Ampuversary pretty Roxy, we are cheering you on and sending all our love. xoxoxo

6. BarretsMomHeather Said,

August 9, 2013@ 10:03 am      Reply

I’m so sorry 🙁 I’m glad you got to enjoy your ampuversary party though.. looks like a blast!!

I don’t have time to come to the site often, but I do think about you since you’re one of the regulars who really helped me through barret’s surgery.

I hope things turn around.

Heather & Barret