Why we are considering a new friend for Roxy (and me)

At first, when we were struck with the horrible news and Roxy and I started on this cancer fighting journey, I thought, “I could never, ever get another dog. I couldn’t deal with this kind of pain again.” But the fact is, even though she has this disease, I wouldn’t trade ANYTHING for the time we have spent together over the last 12 years. 12 years! I was 23 when Roxy and I met and I was still very much a baby myself. So in some ways, Roxy and I kind of raised each other, and since then, we have been each other’s best friend and companion. You will hear people say that caring for a dog with cancer strengthens that bond like you wouldn’t believe. It is unequivocally true.

Allow me to explain some of the reasons why, at this time, we are looking at adding a new furry friend to our pack.

Roxy likes big boy dogs. At dog parks and in social situations, she ignores small dogs, is indifferent to female dogs, and gravitates toward large, male dogs. I would love for Roxy to have a friend, as she is still very young at heart. Not just a dog that she tolerates, but a dog whose company she enjoys. I don’t want her new friend to be a source of stress for her, but someone to enrich her life.

Make no mistake, this idea isn’t completely selfless. We all know that Roxy isn’t going to be around for that much longer. We all know that it will be very difficult for me to lose her, and I do mean “feeling like I have nothing to wake up for” kind of difficult. It would be really good for me to have another dog to focus on, to get up for, to take care of, and to play with.

Roxy has been my life for a really long time, and though no dog could ever replace her, dogs are very much a part of who I am, much in the same way that music is a part of who my husband is.

It is important to me that the new dog will have known Roxy, even if for a short while, to have spent some time with her, to understand the bond we share… and maybe pick up a habit or two of hers and a part of her can continue to live on in our family.

If we don’t end up finding Roxy a suitable friend, that’s fine. I would want him to be a good fit for everyone. But it is still worth a shot.

August 22, 2013@ 10:48 am      Reply

It will be good for Roxy. Good luck on your Journey

Michelle & Angel Sassy

August 22, 2013@ 11:24 am      Reply

Well thought out–well said.

There will be no mistake with the “selection”.you, Roxy and your new pup will all KNOW in your heart, yeah, he’s the right one! Come on and join our family fella, Roxy has a few things to show you about love…AND about hw to pose of the camera:-) 🙂

Can’t wait to the see the pictures!

Love to you and to that sweet Roxy girl!

3. cjwaller Said,

August 22, 2013@ 11:41 am      Reply

We support you! You know what’s best for your family and Roxy! When we lost our dog about 5 years ago, I only waited 3 days before searching shelters for our current dog, Nevada (the current cancer fighter). I know there were some people who were shocked at my moving forward so quickly, but it’s hard to lose a pet, and everyone has to cope in their own way. I knew we’d be getting another dog as I think life is better with one. Even though I was heartbroken from losing Sierra, finding Nevada helped heal that hurt. Nevada would never replace Sierra, just add another new member to our family. If you feel now’s a good time to add to your family, you go for it! I bet Roxy will love to have a companion to play with and if it helps you through these next days/months/years, whatever time you have left with Roxy, it’s the right decision!

4. Karma Said,

August 22, 2013@ 11:56 am      Reply

I wholeheartedly agree Mica. As you know, I adopted Adelaide about six weeks after Brendol’s amputation. It really came about because she needed a home, but I was receptive to the idea because of most of the reasons you stated above. Brendol and her were not best friends, but they were not enemies either. Most of the aggravation came from Brendol being tired from the chemo and here was this one year old bundle of energy always wanting to play. However, it has been the absolute best thing ever for Aissa. Aissa is back to playing and romping which she had not done much of in the last year. And now that my B is gone, so far it seems this has been the right decision for Aissa and for me. I love knowing that Adelaide knew Brendol. That she became a part of this pack before B had to leave. And in my grief right now, she is a source of comfort. I hope you find a wonderful friend for Roxy.

August 22, 2013@ 3:05 pm      Reply

I think it is a great idea!! and this is coming from the lady who got a puppy 4 weeks after Franklin ran for the bridge!!! yikes!
    we never look to replace. we just look for another to give our love to.. because we.. as pawrents.. have ALOT of it to go around!
    I hope you find the perfect “big guy” to join your family!!

6. tracyintacoma Said,

August 22, 2013@ 7:47 pm      Reply

A pup would be so lucky to join your family!

7. Kassi Said,

August 22, 2013@ 9:18 pm      Reply

We are currently doing the same thing, for exactly the reasons you mentioned above. There are SO MANY DOGS that need forever homes in the shelters and foster care. How could we dog-lovers possibly sit back and not do our part to give love to these precious souls! My boyfriend and I have met a few dogs recently that we are trying to decide between, one of them is a 9 year old! We think he may be the one. But ultimately, it will be up to Nesta – as it is important to me that our new dog is a friend with him! And like you said, I want to know that our new dog will have known the love of my life – Nesta. Never to be a replacement, but LOVE is infinite!

August 22, 2013@ 11:54 pm      Reply

I think it’s a great idea. We are a multi-dog family so always feel the more the merrier. Will look forward hearing about the search.

Luanne and Shooter

9. BarretsMomHeather Said,

August 23, 2013@ 11:40 am      Reply

I have three, so I agree as long as everyone is happy it is a win-win situation! Good luck on your search.. have you considered looking at PetFinder.com to adopt? That’s how we found our “great” Gatsby 🙂

Heather and Barret

August 24, 2013@ 6:10 pm      Reply

I can totally relate to what you are saying and why you are doing this. When Jerry left us, it would have made the pain a lot more bearable to have a furball home to take care of. There was nothing worse than coming home to an empty house.

So good luck to you! And what a gift it will be to have Roxy show this other pup the ropes of your pack. That is precious.