HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Cottage times

Last night, we went up to my friend Marissa’s cottage to celebrate her birthday. Roxy has been up there a few times but this was her first time as a tripawd. It is a cute, rustic cottage up on a cliff overlooking the Mississippi river near Almonte, Ontario.

I kept a close eye on her because it is on very rocky, uneven terrain, and there are some very treacherous steps leading down to the water, which drops off directly off of rocks. I wasn’t ready to re-introduce her to swimming under those conditions (well, that, and the water is freeezing this time of year).

Here are a few pictures from this morning.

on the deck overlooking the river

dreaming of swimming

There are cows that come down to the water across the river. Unfortunately, we didn’t see any this time.

Resting

On our way home. She likes resting her chin on the arm rest.

We were arriving home just in time to catch the fundraising dog bath at the pet food store near us, so we stopped in. I should have gotten a picture of poor Roxy while she was getting bathed, but instead, here’s a picture of her drying off on our deck afterwards.

May 18, 2013@ 10:32 pm      Reply

Roxy you look sohappy and content (except maybe after the bath!). Hopefully the cows will come out the next time. You are healing up really well and I love seeing all your pictures.

2. rica55 Said,

May 19, 2013@ 12:50 am      Reply

Such beautiful pics, such a beautiful dog

May 19, 2013@ 1:18 am      Reply

I can NEVER get enough ROXY!! Those photos are beautiful:-) 🙂

I love where she is gazing across the river…the silhouette where her pretty little “purple bravery heart” is gracefully hanging from her collar”. THAT picture is so etching your vet should have hanging in her office!!

She looks so content on the ride home….fully loved and trusting all is well as long as she’s with her human family:-) 🙂
    And she even looks lovely soaking wet dry I g off on the deck!

She looks li,e maybe she’s put a little bit of weight on?? Didn’t she look a little on the skinny side after surgery?? She looks perfectly strong and fit.ow:-) 🙂

Love that Roxy girl…love her!!

Sally and Happy Hannan

May 19, 2013@ 11:48 am      Reply

Roxy says “gee Mom, first you dont’ let me swim and then you make me get a bath. What is this, puppy torture day? Sheesh!” 😉

Love those pics, it looks so beautiful there. And I had no idea the Mississippi River is all the way up there. Duuuuh. Dumb American here!

5. Heather Crotsley Said,

May 24, 2013@ 11:29 am      Reply

Thanks for sharing your story.. can I ask what harness Roxy is wearing in these photos? Do you think it would work for a front leg tripawd who doesn’t really need “assistance” but as a comfortable walking harness?

Thanks, Heather

• micaroxy Said,

May 24, 2013@ 11:36 am      Reply

Hi Heather,

Roxy is wearing an RC Pets “VestHarness”:

I am not sure how well it would work with a front amp, but I imagine it would do just fine. I will tell you what I like and don’t like about it:

Like:
      – Full mesh coverage is breathable, provides strong support and reduced pressure points.
      – It is reasonably priced (about $35 if I remembe correctly)
      – it is strong (can lift her completely off the ground comfortably)

Dislike:
      – Loop for attaching leash is in an awkward spot (at back), which makes it difficult to walk/lead her with. We normally just attach the leash to her collar and use this harness if she needs to be helped.

Tripawds has a gear section with a lot of other options. I know some people swear by the Ruff Wear harnesses:

Hope this helps!
      Mica

• Barret's Mom Heather Said,

May 31, 2013@ 4:08 pm      Reply

Thanks for the feedback on the pros/cons. I don’t know if Barret will need a harness or not but I am looking for one that isn’t quite as bulky as the ruffwear. He’s a small dog but has a giant deep chest, so I am not sure how the three strap thing on the ruffwear will do.

I am always on the lookout for new gear 🙂